It is renowned for its graves in Empire- and Biedermeier style and its ostentatious mausoleums, which earned it the reputation of a »cemetery for the nobles«.
The dead people of the Viennese outskirt »Hietzing« initially needed to be buried in the nearby outskirt »Penzing«. The first own cemetery was – probably already in the 17th century – located nearby the parish church Hietzing. This cemetery was inaugurated in 1787 and needed to be altered a bunch of times during its 200 years of existence.
Actually a walk through the slightly uphill cemetery is an exploration of the Austrian history. The line of buried celebrities is long: e.g. Franz Grillparzer, an Austrian writer who is chiefly known for his dramas; or Johann Malfatti, the physician of Ludwig van Beethoven; Fanny Elßler, the dancer, who was admired by all of Vienna; Otto Wagner, the ingenious city builder and Jugendstil architect; Gustav Klimt and Kolo Moser, the Jugendstil artists; Engelbert Dollfuß, the Chancellor of the corporative state; Katharina Schratt, the actress and soulmate of Emperor Franz Joseph; and many others.
Duration: as desired.
From January 1, 2024, a maintenance contribution of € 3.00 per person will be charged and forwarded to Friedhöfe Wien GmbH. This contribution exclusively benefits the care and preservation of the cemeteries. More information can be found here (only in German).